Backdating benefit

As a general rule, to claim Housing Benefit you need to be responsible for paying the rent on the property, but please take a moment to check if you fall into one of the categories below.We will consider each claim individually, so please contact us if you find yourself in one of these situations.

In addition to Housing Benefit we run a discretionary payment scheme scheme for households who need extra short term help with their rent.

You will not need to make a separate claim for backdating, but we will need to see proof that you were entitled to support for this period.

We cannot backdate your claim for more than 3 months, even if you would have qualified for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you had applied for it.

This rule also applies to men over pension credit age but less than aged 65 who are NOT in receipt of Income Support, Job Seeker’s Allowance (Income based) or Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related).

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support normally start from the Monday after you claim.